Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Placenta in Urbana

Has anyone heard of the story about placentas being found in sewage plants here in Urbana? Click here.

It was featured on Perezhilton.com yesterday. Perezhilton.com is such a popular website, though not one considered to be the bastion of quality journalism. Other than that, the story seems to be covered in a few of the local papers including the News-Gazette, but not in any of the major newspapers. I think it's a little unfortunate that, since it got published on PerezHilton.com, now people all over the world might associate our university and it's surrounding community as the place that has placentas in the water system.

Like I said, Perez Hilton is a wildly popular blog that dabbles almost entirely in celebrity gossip. I tried to find a number of approximately how many hits he gets per day, and it looks like the best number I can get is probably an average of about 10,000,000 per day. While the website is can be addicting, it's popularity goes to show downward trends. It shows that people aren't caring about the "meat and potatos" news stories anymore, and prefer "junk food stories". I wonder. If people only consume junk food stories and miss out on the good "nutritious" news stories, will society's health start to suffer? I already feel like it is.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but it seems like people in America just aren't as intelligent these days as they used to be. They seem to be more shallow also. Individualism isn't as valuable as I wish it were. Atleast that's what the media seems to portray. But I think in the coming years, this will start to change when things like youtube allow for so many different people to have their voices heard, and allow so many more options for someone that wants to consume media that they can relate to. That is my prediction for the future of the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment