Sunday, March 15, 2009

I had a really difficult time thinking of something to write about for our class research paper. There's certainly a lot of interesting things going on in the media these days. Some of the things that I thought about researching were the media's obsession with kidnapping stories and trying to figure out why a vast majority of them are centered around very young caucasian females, when infact many children of all different races disappear all the time, including male children. I was also interested in researching possible sexism with the uproar of people made about the clothing that Sarah Palin wore during the presidential debates. I think I settled on a pretty decent topic.

One thing that has never made much sense to me is why newspapers endorse candidates during elections. It always seemed to me to be completely against what newspapers are all about. Why would a newspaper assume that its citizens are not intelligent enough to make their own choices? Who said they ever needed help in deciding who to vote for? Yet, a vast majority of newspapers, so it appears, do choose to endorse candidates. In some of my early research, a lot of newspapers that do endorse are supporting their position by saying that it furthers discussion, but I'm not buying it. With my paper, I am going to try to understand why and hopefully have a more well-rounded understanding of the topic after I'm done.

I'll check back later on in a few weeks and report my findings and see if my opinions have changed.

ciao -K

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I agree about the candidate endorsement. What does it mean anyway? Surely the entire newspaper doesn't support this candidate, just the most powerful people? Or the majority? But yeah, I would rather just have deep analysis of both candidates' policies.

    ReplyDelete