Sunday, April 12, 2009

Still Not Convinced

Sorry I missed last week. In the exhaustion of trying to complete the J-425 critique project, I passed out on Wednesday afternoon and forgot to blog. Fortunately, that project is now complete and my focus is back on the paper for this class.

I said I would come back to the issue of political endorsements, and the result is I am still not convinced that endorsements are the right thing to do. One of the arguments I have found that some make for the case of endorsing is that it's a tradition. In my research, I have come across a funny quote that shows just how silly and absurd that argument is.

According to Richard Stengel from Time magazine, back in 1936, the Chicago Tribune was very vehemently opposed to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Ten days prior to the election, people that happened to call the Tribune's offices for whatever reasons were greeted by switchboard operators with the words "Hello. Chicago Tribune. Only 10 left to save the American way of life".

So yeah. My position in my paper is that political endorsements 1) are not objective 2) open up a proverbial pandora's box for corruption and 3) outdated and no longer have the clout that warrants having them in the first place.

Alright. I'm out. Back to writing.

ciao -K

No comments:

Post a Comment