Wednesday, February 4, 2009

introductions

I'm no stranger to blogging. I've been blogging since high school. I currently host a blog that I have titled "Don't Worry... She's Harmless" on livejournal. Click here if you would like to see it, though it's probably not worth your time considering 1.) you have to have a livejournal account to open it and 2.) I've locked it off from the world except my two best friends in the entire world - my wildchild Jasmine from DePaul University and whiz kid Lina from the University of Chicago. By the way, the "adult content" disclaimer is a joke.

I suppose I should tie all of this in to news editing. I have found that, as small and insignificant as a personal blog may seem, it's true that you really have to make your own editorial decisions from time to time. One of the most important ones is who you are willing to disclose your information to. This new blog is exciting for me because a part of me has always wanted to have a public blog, yet I have always made the editorial decision that it is best for me to keep my writing private. I have developed a strong belief that my blog is mine. A part of what has made my blog such a positive part of my life is that I feel free to say whatever I need to say. My blog becomes my confidant.

As Professor Follis said, blog entries are the most likely to be successful when they are short and concise. This is where I fail. My blogging tends to be very long-winded, just ask my friends. During summer, weekends, or whenever I feel so compelled, it is not uncommon for my blog entries to be about 13 pages long when copied and pasted into a Word document. Most of the time now, with classes in full swing, I use my blog to record my moods, ability to concentrate, to-do lists, shopping lists etc. Sometimes, though, I like to write carefully-crafted memoirs for entries. In fact, I was preparing a lengthy draft for this first post that included my history as a blogger/journal-keeper; life lessons; favorite quotes; and all kinds of other stuff, but with all the deadlines (and tiredness) looming over my head, I'll try to keep it short and sweet for now.

But to sum it up, the written word is my voice. I am generally meek and mild in person and don't have a lot of things to say. It's easier for me to write my words on a page than to annunciate them with my mouth.

I am what I am.

Otherwise, my name is Kim Scarabello. I'm 21 years-old. I'm from Blue Island, Illinois. My favorite color is green. My favorite animals are tigers and English bulldogs. If I could have one superpower, it would be to fly. My favorite food is Indian. The three places in the world that I would like to travel to the most are India, Israel, and Prague. If you can think of any other standard icebreaker questions and are curious, send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment